Friday, December 4, 2009

Smile For Me.

Smile for Me



I remembered that day as if it was yesterday when in fact, it happened two years ago. His smile, his laugh, and even his movements were still etched in my head; I never forgot the way his eyes sparkle every time he smiles my favorite crooked smile. He showed me love, greater than I’ve ever felt in years. I could never forget the way he brightens up my day with just a smile, the way he tucks my hair behind my ears, and the way he says I love you when he leaves.


Two years since that tragic accident that should’ve taken my life away, not his.


“Alli, come on. Let’s go home.” Jake tugged my arm.

“No, I want to stay. It’s a party, live a little.” I shrugged him off.

“You’re drunk; I have to take you home.” He pleaded.

“I’m not! Just give me ten minutes then we can leave.” I huffed.

“No, Allison. I have to take you home now.” He pulled me towards his car.

“Okay. I hate you.” I got inside and ignored him.

“I’m sorry, Alli.” He apologized for the third time.


I kept my gaze on my feet; as much as I hate ignoring him, it was his fault. He knows how much I love to party and he accepted that. Besides, it’s my going away party; I leave for London tomorrow because my parents want me to stay with them before I went to college.


“Alli, look at me.”

“Alli, you don’t know how hard it is to look at you and the road. Please just look at me. I’m so sorry.”

“I forgive you.” I smiled, looking at him.

“There’s that smile I love.” He grinned like a little boy on Christmas day.

“Shut up, be careful.” I warned.

“Baby, there’s no one out here during this hour but for you I will be.” He smiled.

“That’s sweet, I love you.” I held his hand that wasn’t holding the steering wheel.

“I love you too.”


I felt warm all over. Those words, when said by him, give me butterflies every time. When he said it, it felt right. It made me feel alive.


“Jake, look out!” I shrieked.

“Oh shi-”


The tires screeched and I felt something hit my side then everything went black. When I woke up, I was lying on the ground and I had cuts and bruises all over. My head ached as well. I tried to get up but my right leg hurt, I looked at it and saw a big black circle forming on my pant leg. A shard of glass was in it, I took it out ignoring the pain.


I got up and searched for Jake; after a few minutes, I found him lying on the ground a few feet from where I was. He was near the car, apparently it hit a truck. From the looks of it, the driver was dead on the spot. I could tell that our car was going way past the speed limit by the impact on the truck; it was practically bent in half.


I limped towards Jake, he was worse than I was. Not only did he have cuts on his arms and legs but also a big gash on the side of his head. My angel now bruised and broken, it hurt to see him like that.


“Jake! Jake, please open your eyes.” I pleaded.

“Hey there, beautiful.” He croaked, I was in tears at the sound of his voice. This was not good.

“Baby, I’ll call 911 now. Just please hold on, don’t leave me.”

“You know that I can’t do that. I can’t leave you, no matter where I go I’ll always be with you. Maybe not physically but I’ll be there with you.”

“Shh, stay still. Just please don’t close your eyes.” I dialed 911 and told them the details, they said that an ambulance will be here as fast as they can.

“Jake, I love you so much. Please don’t leave me.” I held his hand.

“I will never leave you. I promise.”

“Alli.” He wheezed.

“Yeah?” I looked at him, his beautiful features covered in blood.

“Smile for me, I hate seeing you cry.”


It was impossible to smile for him when he’s on the brink of death. I tried my best to give him a smile, his last wish.


“There we go, her pretty smile.” He smiled.

“Jake, don’t let go of me. You have to live.” I pleaded.

“Alli, I have to go.”

“No you don’t. Please don’t leave me, the ambulance will be here any minute!”

“I’m sorry, baby. I love you.”


With that, I held his limp hand. I watched as his eyes closed, a smile was still on his face. My favorite crooked smile.


I knew from that day on, I will never see his crooked smile, hear his beautiful laugh, and smell his wonderful scent. Most of all, I would never feel the warmth he gave off. He would never hold me in his arms and tell me that everything’s okay.


The only person that I truly cared about, gone. I can never introduce him to my parents because he is only alive in my memories.


©Gabrielle.



No comments:

Post a Comment