Thirteen Years Of Christmas
"Mommy! Mommy!" A little girl shouted as she was running towards her mother; her blonde curls bounced.
"What is it, sweetheart?" Her mother picked her up and smiled at her.
"When are we going to the party?" As expected from a five year old, she was impatient yet excited.
"We're going now. I want you to be on you best behavior, okay? Oh, and make a lot of friends."
"Okay, mommy."
They arrived at a place filled with lights and streamers. The party is held at the park, where anyone can go and celebrate Christmas with other people.
"I'm glad you made it. Merry Christmas." A lady walked up to her and greeted.
"No problem. Merry Christmas as well."
"How about I take your daughter to where the kids are?"
"That would be wonderful, thank you."
The little girl’s mother squatted to level with her child.
"Now sweetie, you'll be going with this lady okay? She'll take you to the kids."
"I don't want to go! I want to stay here with mommy!"
"I'll be right here when you need me, I promise."
"Okay." The little girl mumbled and went with the lady.
They arrived at a place near a lake. There were lights as well and presents for the little kids. The girl settled near the lake and watched as the other kids frolic and play.
She felt like she didn't belong here. She wanted to go home with her mother. The little girl stared at the reflection of the moon in the lake.
"Hello." She jumped and turned around. A boy about her age, brown hair and chocolate brown eyes, a grin was plastered on his face.
"Hi." She replied.
"What are you doing here all alone?" The boy sat next to her.
"I don't know. I felt like it." She smiled.
"You know, I used to come here a lot with my brother when he was sad."
"Where is he now?" A mask of confusion filled her face.
"In heaven." The boy whispered.
She wrapped her arms around him and they stared at the moon. Only the sound of crickets are heard. A comfortable silence filled them, like they understood each other.
"My daddy went to heaven too." The girl blurted.
"It's okay."
"I know. My mommy said he's in a better place now. No more suffering." She smiled.
"I like your smile, you should smile more." The boys grinned as he saw the blush on the girl's face.
"I'm Alex by the way."
"I'm Danielle." She smiled.
"Danielle, I like it. I'm going to call you Dani!" He cheered.
"Okay." Danielle's face lit up at the boy's loudness.
"Hey Dani, want to play?"
"Sure!" She smiled and ran towards the sandbox. Nothing but happiness filled her face.
"Dani, I have a feeling we're going to be best friends." Alex said as he got his breathing steady.
"Me too. Merry Christmas."
"Merry Christmas."
~
"I remember that day like it was yesterday." Danielle smiled.
"Look at us now. Thirteen years and we're still best friends." Alex grinned his playful grin.
"Yeah. Wait, where's Jack?"
"Probably annoying Rian again."
"Get away from me! Die!" Rian ran out the garden covered with whipped cream and a doodle on his face.
"I'm sorry! It was a joke." Jack screamed, he looked scared to death.
"Poor guy." Danielle shook her head at Jack's antics.
"Atleast it wasn't me." Alex sighed.
"Yeah." She kissed his cheek.
"Thanks for sitting next to me by that lake thirteen years ago. Merry Christmas." Danielle smiled.
"Merry Christmas. I love you." Alex said.
"I love you too, Gaskarth.”
-- End.

No comments:
Post a Comment